Pages

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Fourth Fridays Celebration

It's an understatement to say yesterday's Fourth Fridays was a success.  
In short, it was a smash!  The atmosphere was festive, the event was well attended, and the weather was - in a word - perfect.  Lots of art was on display, including Todd Smith's photos at the Hub, the amazing glass sculptures at SCCA, and Dale Weibley's tile works at Jonal Gallery.  (I only regret I didn't make it to Garth Gallery this time.)  Visitors and shop owners lined the streets (especially the 400 block of Locust), and the drum jam session in front of the old State Theater could be heard for blocks.  The air was full of positive energy and - dare I say - "good vibes."

Thanks go to Chris Davis for organizing the event, as well as all the artists (including musicians), shop owners, gallery owners, and visitors for making this a memorable evening.

The following pics capture only a fraction of the happenings . . .

 The ever-stoic Margo watched the festivities 
from her window at the Hub.

 A mammoth, tentacled glass sculpture
 was displayed at SCAA, as well as . . . 






And across the street . . . 
Let there be drums!




And . . . a strolling street troubadour

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cole, I attended this Fourth Friday myself and I too, thought this was the best ever Fourth Friday. Earlier in the day on Friday-my husband didn't know what fourth Friday was all about until he was told by The organizer. So, he gathered a few friends and went down on Locust and sat. At first, it wasn't to exciting. Until he saw all these younger people walking down both sides of the streets. He said he began to hear drums playing, guitars playing and it became relaxing. The young folks that participated were polite and he actually had a good time listening. This new head shop brought life to the block and caused no trouble for no one. The other side of the street was filled with hot coffees, pastries. Art displays, jewelry, tattoo demonstrations, hot foods and more! I have heard no complaints on noise or otherwise. Everyone had a great time. Then...who should show up....the 3 moueketeers, D. D. & K, whom all three who do not live on the block had to put an end to the one night of the month that was scheduled for everyone to be out. Well Columbia, this too will lead to another black eye. This is how we welcome new businesses? The mouseketeers went to police to complain and shut down the fun. Gee, they already screwed up the market-tell them to stay there! My husband and I have lived in Columbia all our lives and we now retired. I have never seen such a nice Friday as this one. I hope that these new shops do not get discouraged. I do think that the 3 mouseketeers did this on purpose because all the new shop owners are the ones that left market to start a new career path. Ps. we have a peeping spitter! One mouse spit on a store window? wow....
Joan and Carl.

Cole said...

Thanks for the observations. It's a pity those people had the celebration shut down, when so many were enjoying it. I don't know if was done out of bitterness or out of jealousy. Probably both. I wonder what they hope to accomplish in the long run. What do they want? Maybe someone will get the courage to tell us.
And spitting on the window? All I have to say is, petty, petty, petty; shame, shame, shame. Totally ridiculous and childish behavior.
For more observations on this event, go here:
http://www.columbiapaonline.com/?p=430

Anonymous said...

how sad. something must be done to stop these 3 mean yellow bellied muskateers !

Anonymous said...

maybe the spitter should be stopped by the police and informed they got their number !!

Cole said...

Wish I'd gotten a pic. I would have posted it.

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the cool pics from Fourth Friday! they're great !!!

Cole said...

You're welcome. I wish I'd have snapped some more.

Blog Archive