Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Notes from a Former Columbian

I recently received the following e-mail from a former Columbian.  (Reprinted with the permission of the author.  Name withheld.)




Hi Cole,
I would like to send a note of appreciation to you for your Columbia blog website and encourage you to keep up the good work.
Like you, I grew up in the town and maintain an enduring attachment even though I live far away, having moved away in 1965. Your website is like a window back in time and place for me and I enjoy keeping up with your latest news and photos. Especially because I live on the other side of the world now.
I was born there in the late 40's and grew up taking in all the great features of the town, an era that I think is now lost to so many young folks. The times have certainly changed. I moved away for school and then the world just drew me away to so many other places and experiences.
 I grew up near Janson's playground and had the luxury of a playground, a town park and a cemetery to play in when younger and Cherry Street hill to sled on in winter.  That was when the school teachers ran the Janson's Park playground for the summer activities.
 In hindsight, life was good for us thanks to the generations of Columbians who built and developed the town before we got there. Let's hope the present generation can appreciate the value of the town and preserve it. Your blog is a great step in that direction. I guess you're picking up where the old "Columbia News" newspaper left off. That 'find' in the bank basement looks to be very interesting. I hope someone can digitize some of it for research.
Anyway, thanks again for your blog and your efforts to help others appreciate Columbia.
Well done
An "old" friend of the town

No comments:

Blog Archive